Antidepressant Medication Management (AMM)
What is the AMM — HEDIS® Measure?
Based on current NCQA HEDIS recommendations for best practices, members 18 years of age and older who were treated with antidepressant medication and had diagnosis of major depression should remain on antidepressant medication treatment.
The following will meet numerator (eligible population) compliance:
- Two rates are reported:
- Effective Acute Phase Treatment: Members who remained on an antidepressant medication for at least 84 days (12 weeks).
- Effective Continuation Phase Treatment: Members who remained on an antidepressant medication for at least 180 days (six months).
NCQA HEDIS Population Definition for This Measure
Population: Members 18 years and older as of the Index Prescription Start Date who were treated with an antidepressant medication, had diagnosis of major depression and remained on an antidepressant medication treatment
Line of Business: Commercial, Medicaid, Medicare
Doxepin (>6 mg)
Reference: Antidepressant Medication Management (AMM), NCQA HEDIS Tech Specifications
- Discuss with patients the importance of taking medication as prescribed and to remain on medication for a minimum of six months, even when the patient starts to feel better.
- Discuss with patients the risks of stopping medication before six months. Recommend a consultation before stopping.
- Educate patients on possible side effects and length of time for the medication to have the desired effect.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment before the patient leaves the office and send appointment reminders.
- Develop a tracking method for patients prescribed antidepressants and require staff to follow up with patients that miss or cancel their appointment.
- When available, use gap lists to help manage your total population.
- Consider the patient's work schedule as a barrier to the visit, and offer extended evening or weekend hours, and telemedicine.
To learn more about your practice's current HEDIS performance, HEDIS Value sets for this or other measures, or for assistance in compliance with the HEDIS guidelines, please email BH_HEDISTeam@HorizonBlue.com or visit Provider Tips for Optimizing HEDIS Results Booklet.